Looking to give your floor a good deep cleaning? A dust mop is a great choice for getting rid of dirt, debris, pet hair, and other dirty messes.
To help you find the most effective cleaning option for your floors, we're rounding up the best dust mops available in 2021. Thanks to key features like extendable handles, machine washable mop heads, and reusable microfiber cloths, you can enjoy clean floors in no time!
What is a dust mop used for?
As the name suggests, dust mops are designed to pick up dust, dirt, lint, hair, and other small particles from hard surfaces like hardwood floors, tile, vinyl, and laminate. They're ideal for cleaning your kitchen, bathroom, hallways, and other highly trafficked areas in your home. Unlike a traditional wet mop, they're intended to be used both dry and wet.
Ways to use a dust mop:
Dry mops are praised for their practicality and versatility. Here are a few of the many ways to use a dust mop to clean your floors, baseboards, and other surfaces:
- Completely dry— Using a dry dust mop for daily dry mopping helps quickly and easily remove dust, hair, and small debris from hardwood floors that can be damaged by daily wet mopping.
- Damp with water— To lock in dust and dirt, dampen the microfiber pad before mopping
- liquid cleaner— For a deeper clean, the dust mop head can be damped and rubbed over the cleaning solution you've sprayed or dispensed onto the floor.
- Wet— Though not all dust mops can be used as a traditional wet mop, many mop heads can be dipped into a bucket full of water and cleaning solution or soapy water for an extra deep clean.
Is a dust mop better than a broom?
While the two home cleaning tools serve similar purposes, a dust mop offers many advantages over an old-school broom:
- Microfiber Material Attracts Dirt and Dust Bunnies— Many dust mops are with microfiber, a material that attracts dust particles that traditional brooms only push around.
- No Dustpan Means No Bending Over— While a traditional broom requires you to bend over and sweep debris into a dustpan, a dry mop traps particles with its microfiber cloth or mop head. They're a good option for people with back pain or limited mobility.
- Ergonomic Design— Many dust mops are equipped with an extendable handle that can be adjusted for your height, eliminating the need to bend over or extend your arms as you clean. As a result, you can clean your floors without straining your back or shoulders.
What is the best dust mop on the market in 2021?
When deciding which dust mop to purchase, there a number of key features to consider:
- An extendable telescoping handle that can be adjusted for your height or to reach under large furniture like beds, sofas, washing machines, and refrigerators
- A reusable mop head that you can toss in the washing machine between uses to save money and reduce your environmental impact
- Microfiber material designed to attract dust and dirt better than a traditional broom
- A hanger hole or hook at the end of the handle for easy hanging and storage between cleaning sessions
- Ergonomic grip and sprayer trigger to prevent hand fatigue during cleaning
- Refillable wet mop sprayer for water or cleaning liquid or a compact vacuum that saves time and streamlines the cleaning process
- A swivel head that makes it easy to reach tight corners, behind furniture, and in hard-to-reach spots in your home
It doesn't get much easier than the best-selling Swiffer Sweeper 2-in-1 Multi-Surface Floor Cleaner when it comes to cleaning floors. Before cleaning, wrap a cloth around the rectangular Sweeper head and poke the flaps into the corner grips to secure the pad in place. When you're finished, simply remove the used pad and toss it in the trash. It's that easy! Its swiveling head makes it easy to reach into tight corners, along your baseboards, under the bed or couch, and behind other hard-to-move furniture in your house.
This all-in-one starter kit includes their basic Swiffer mop, seven multi-surface dry clothes, and three heavy-duty wet clothes. It's safe for use on all floor types, including tile, wooden floors, laminate, and other hard surfaces. Refill cloths are available on Amazon and at most major retailers, pharmacies, and grocery stores.
Searching for a simple but effective microfiber dust mop? Libman's Microfiber Dust Mop is hard to beat! At just $15, the reusable mop isn't just designed for easy cleaning; it's designed for saving money too.
It features an extra-large, 18.75-inch wide, machine-washable microfiber dust mop head and a 360-degree swivel that makes it easy to reach tough spots and tight corners. The durable steel handle has a comfortable grip handle and a hanger hole for easy storage. Plus, the mop comes with a specially designed comb to remove hair and debris from the mop head when you're finished.
The Clorox Flip and Switch Spray Mop go above and beyond the average dry mop thanks to a double-sided head and a refillable cleaning solution bottle. It's packed with user-friendly features that make it one of the most versatile, efficient, and easy-to-use mops on the market.
The machine-washable, removable mop head features chenille fabric on one side and microfiber on the other so you can dry and wet mop your floor at the same time. A refillable spray bottle contains an antimicrobial cleaning solution that keeps your floors sparkling clean and protects against odor-causing bacteria. The dual-spray option dispenses the right amount for both wide and narrow spaces, helping you avoid spraying furniture and walls as you clean.
While most mops can only trap dust and other small debris, the Swiffer Sweep and Vac Cordless Vacuum Kit pick up big and small messes with ease. Thanks to a dust mop pad and a powerful vacuum, you can save time and effort by sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming all at the same time!
The double-duty dust mop is great for sweeping away dust from your hardwood floor and picking up debris from textured surfaces, grout lines, and corners. The kit includes one 2-in-1 vacuuming dust mop, a long-lasting rechargeable battery, and eight disposable sheets. Swiffer's refill cloths and filters are available at most major retailers nationwide.
Searching for a dust mop where you won't need to purchase replacement pads, batteries, or brand-specific cleaners? Try the O-Cedar ProMist MAX Microfiber Spray Dust Mop. The dual-sided mop head rotates 180-degrees to reach tight spaces and flips for 2x the cleaning power. Its high-strength scrub zones effectively scrub away difficult messes and sticky spills.
The multi-purpose dust mop can be used wet or dry to dust, mop, and deep clean every room in your home. Its refillable sprayer can be filled with water or the cleaning solution of your choice to save money and customize your cleaning experience. Just squeeze the trigger on the ergonomic grip handle to activate the microfiber mop's spray action— no batteries required.