When it comes to cleaning, it's safe to say that dusting— though all too often skipped— is one of the most satisfying tasks to complete. There's truly nothing better than whisking away pesky dust bunnies with the flick of a wrist.
But to do so, you'll need a reliable duster that traps dust with ease. And while there are a number of different types of dusters out there, you can't go wrong with a classic feather duster. Below, we've highlighted the best feather dusters available in 2021, along with some helpful information to know before you shop.
Are Feather Dusters Effective?
Thanks to the growing number of microfiber dusters on the market, feather dusters are no longer the most popular type of duster. But with that being said, feather dusters are still incredibly effective at whisking away dust, food particles, and other small annoyances:
- Fragile Surface Friendly: Thanks to their soft feathers, these dusters won't scratch delicate surfaces like glass tables and shelves or the leaves of large houseplants.
- Actually Attracts Dust— There's a good reason why the best feather dusters are made from real ostrich feathers. These unique feathers have a negative charge and tiny barbs that attract dust particles, helping to lock dust into the duster head instead of just pushing it around on the surface.
- Anti-Static— Unlike some microfiber cloths, real feathers won't cause static as they move across surfaces.
- Relatively Humane— Nearly all the ostrich feathers used to make cleaning products are either a byproduct of ostrich meat farms or are trimmed from the animal instead of plucked. But with that being said, feather dusters are made using animal products and are not considered vegan-friendly.
- Stylish Design— There's just something about a feather duster that feels a bit luxurious. If you dread dusting, owning a stylish duster may entice you to use it more often.
How to Choose a Feather Duster:
When searching for your next duster, there are a few things you'll want to factor in when deciding between products:
- Real Feathers vs. Synthetic Alternatives— It's important to determine whether you're looking for a feather duster made from genuine feathers or an animal-free, vegan-friendly alternative like microfiber.
- Size and Handle Length— While lengthy handles are great for reaching high shelves and ceiling fans, smaller dusters are great for dusting china cabinets, car interiors, keyboards, and faux plants. Some products come equipped with an extendable handle or handle attachment capabilities.
- Budget— Feather dusters vary widely in price, so you'll need to determine how much you're willing to spend. Remember, a higher price usually means higher-quality materials and longer product life.
What is the best feather duster?
When it comes to ostrich feather dusters, it doesn't get much better than this Traditional Feather Duster from French brushmaker Andree Jardin. The minimalist duster is designed and made in France from a beechwood handle, five crowns of real ostrich feathers, and a genuine leather loop. Thanks to its high-quality materials and thoughtful construction, this elegant feather duster will last for many years to come with proper care.
Material— Ostrich feathers
Length— 47.25 in.
These versatile Ostrich Feather Dusters with Varnished Wooden Handle from Redecker will make you feel like a chic French maid every time you dust! They're hand-crafted in Germany from plumes of fluffy fanned feathers— available in your choice of black or white— and a sleek varnished wood handle. With a variety of styles and lengths to choose from, there's sure to be one that's well-suited to both your dusting needs and personal taste.
Material— Ostrich feathers
Length— 19.75 in.
Best on a Budget
Let's face it. Feather dusters can get pretty pricey, and not everyone is looking to spend upwards of fifty to a hundred dollars on a single cleaning tool. Thankfully, there are plenty of great budget-friendly options to choose from as well, like this two-pack of Natural Ostrich Feather Dusters from Midoneat.
The small dusters are made using 100% natural black ostrich feathers and a bamboo handle with a leather loop for easy storage. Their compact, portable size makes them ideal for dusting the keyboard in your home office, the delicate glass in your china cabinet, and the interior of your car.
Material— Ostrich feathers
Length— 15.25 in.
Best Synthetic Feather Duster
Looking for a feather-free duster that works just like a traditional feather duster? You can't beat Unger's Microfiber Feather Duster! Its feather-free microfiber material holds up to 25x more particles than a regular feather duster. Plus, it features a finger-like design that effectively dusts delicate objects without missing a single nook or cranny. While the compact duster can be used as-is, it can also be threaded onto a telescopic pole or long handle for hard-to-reach areas.
Length— 15 in.
If you're looking for a duster that's easy to clean, try this affordable Microfiber Delicate Duster from Mr. Siga. Instead of feathers, it's made with a fluffy microfiber head that's gentle enough to use on picture frames, knick-knacks, and other small, delicate items. The synthetic material is designed to be a dust magnet, trapping and holding dust instead of just moving it around. Plus, the head can be fully removed from the plastic handle for easy washing.
Length— 13.5 in.